One woman has been killed and 10 others have been injured, one critically so, when a bus collided with a Chevrolet sedan on the I-95 in Newark.

According to police official Cpl John Day, the accident occurred at 5.36 pm on Wednesday afternoon. A Chevrolet Monte Carlo which was travelling southbound in the right lane suddenly veered left as it approached St.Rt. 896, and travelled across traffic over several lanes of the I-95 southbound. As the vehicle entered the left lane, it collided with a BoltBus. The collision sent the Chevrolet spinning onto the median where it rolled multiple times before coming to rest on its wheels on the side of the highway.

The bus, which was not badly damaged in the accident, pulled over the to the side of highway and stopped. The driver of the Chevrolet, a middle aged woman who is yet to be identified, was pronounced dead on the scene by emergency rescue officials. A 41 year old man who was a passenger in the Chevrolet was transferred to Christiana Hospital by state police helicopter, where he remains in a stable condition. The man’s identity is known, but his next of kin have yet to be notified and therefore police are withholding his name.

Two passengers in the bus were transported to the hospital and treated for minor injuries. They have both been discharged. According to Day, a further seven passengers on the bus sustained minor injuries but were treated on the scene and did not require admission to hospital.

The driver of the BoltBus, which was transporting 32 passengers from New York to Washington, DC at the time of the incident, was identified as 47 year old Mamadou Badiane from Maryland. Badiane has been working for BoltBus since April 2010 and has a good safety record, says BoltBus spokeswoman Maureen Richmond. According to Richmond, the bus company will be working with police to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.

A replacement bus was sent by BoltBus to pick up the uninjured passengers and continue their journey to Washington after their injuries were treated and they were questioned by police at the scene.

A number of lanes on both the northbound and southbound I-95 lanes were closed and remained shut until close to 10pm on Wednesday evening for workers to investigate the scene and clear the debris. The local police department as well as the Collision Reconstruction Unit are currently investigating the incident further.



Fill out the Form Below for a Free Consult with Our Undefeated Bus Accident Lawyers

Your First Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

All communications are private and confidential.